Friday, January 7, 2011

Reflection Questions for 2010...

 I did this last year and decided to do it again.

1. What was the single best thing that happened this past year?
It is hard to choose the single best thing. I don't think I can think of one thing from last year. So to choose one of the many it would be Jeremiah's job. At the beginning of last year the city was facing some budget concerns (when are they not!) and were planning on laying off up to 500 officers. We would have been one of them. I am so grateful that Jeremiah kept his job.

2. What was the single most challenging thing that happened?

I know it is didn't happen, thank goodness, but the prospect of Jeremiah loosing his job was very scary. I know Jeremiah would have worked hard to keep us going but it would have been very difficult. It made me realize how much we have and how much I take for granted.


3. What was an unexpected joy this past year?
Jeremiah's new work schedule. Since he was hired he has been working Sunday's. We were doing our best to all go to sacrament meeting together. Even though that meant that we were going to a diffident ward, going home for an hour, Jer going to work, then the kids and  I going back to church for the last 2 blocks. Since Jer is a low serial number and there haven't been many new hires since her was hired, we pretty much figured that this was how it was going to be for a few years. No weekends off. But we were so lucky that when they rezoned all the precincts Jeremiah managed to get put on a squad with the weekends off. Through prayer and Jeremiah's hard work he got placed on a great squad. I am so grateful that we can all go to church together!

4. What was an unexpected obstacle?
A very unexpected obstacle was dealing with the differences between my children. I will try to make this make sense. Bode was such an easy baby and toddler. He was very easy going, a great sleeper and eater. Laine however had been tough. She has been a terrible 2 since she was 1. I have had a difficult year learning how to deal with her and all her little quirks. 



Since Bode was such an easy baby/toddler I didn't expect things to be much different this past year. He has grown and I neglected to treat him like a 4 year old and continued to treat him like a toddler. We both have learned that we need to have special time together, that he needs to be challenged, and that I need to follow through on the disciplining


Don't get me wrong it has been a great year and I love my kids. We are learning and growing together.

5. What were the best books you read this year?
The Help, Covenant Hearts, The 5 Love Languages of Children


6. With whom were your most valuable relationships?
I will always feel my most valuable  relationships are with my families.

7. What was your biggest physical change from January to December of this past year?
Physically we moved from one house to another. Even though circumstances make it impossible for us to buy a house right now, I am very happy with were we are. The house feels like a home not a rental.

8. In what way(s) did you grow emotionally?
Ok, I have no idea. I am not to sure I did change. Am I supposed to change every year?  Maybe I should make this a goal this year? Any suggestions?

9. In what way(s) did you grow spiritually?
I have learned that if I want to feel the spirit in our home and personally I have to invite it in. This isn't a new concept but this year I learned that when I am inviting the spirit into our home through prayer, scripture study and positive activities, we are happier as a whole.


10. In what way(s) did you grow physically?
This year I actually lost the weight. With the help of the HCG diet I lost 16 pounds and I have managed to keep 14 of it off, which is still under my original goal of 155 pounds. 


11. What was the most enjoyable area of managing your home?
We moved from one home to another this past year. I love putting together a new space and making it feel like home for my family. I love decorating new spaces.


12. What was your most challenging area of home management?
Laundry! Gosh, one of these years I will get my self into gear and figure out how to stay on top of the laundry.

13. What was your single biggest time waster in your life this past year?
The computer. One of my goals this year is to not be on here so much. To not let a 5 minute email check turn into a 30 minute blog session. 

14. What was the best way you used your time this past year?
Time spent with family. One of the best things we have done with our time is really make the effort to do the bedtime routine. My kids love getting books read to them and family prayer. This small use of time has make a big difference.

15. What was the biggest thing you learned this past year?
If I want to be happy then it is up to me. No one can change things for me. I am in control of my life. 

3 comments:

  1. I'm in the middle of my "email" check! Ha! I agree. It can be super addicting.
    Here is to a fabulous 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to read your updates Heidi. I have a personal goal of being on the computer less as well. I hope you and your family had a great holiday season, and continue to have an even better year this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the insights into your 2010. You are a wonderful wife and mother, Heidi.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails