Thursday, March 12, 2009

We had a fun afternoon...

in the Emergency Room.
Bode's birthday is this Saturday so we decided to drive up to the Anthem Outlets to buy his summer wardrobe. We went to Oshkosh and Carter's then decided to let Bode play on the playground in the common area of the mall. We had been sitting down for about 10 minutes, Bode was just running around with all the kids having a good old time. Then he decided to go down the slide. He was running full speed at the gym equipment and tripped about 4 feet from the first step, he flew like Superman and smacked his head on the corner of the metal step. He got up and was crying. Jer got up and ran over to him. Bode turned around and there was blood running down his face. This gash in his forehead is deep! There was a lady with her daughters standing pretty close to Bode, she was freaking out! Like full on screaming. I didn't even do that. We put a burp cloth over it and hurried to the car. Jer called Nathan and found an Urgent Care right close to the mall. We walked in and showed them his cut and they said they couldn't treat it there because it was so deep. They directed us to "Mendy's" the Pediatric ER at John C. Lincoln Hospital. Bode is a little stud. You could tell that his head hurt but he was playing it off pretty good. I was afraid he might have had a concussion becasue he was acting like he wanted to sleep. So I kept telling him to stay awake. I was saying this kinda funny I guess becasue he kept laughing at me and telling me to say it again.
At the ER they took us back really fast. The doctor we saw was a bit weird. But he was nice. They cleaned out his cut and used glue to fix him up. No stitches. They said that since the cut was following the natural line of the muscles in his face he didn't need stitches. Because when he makes faces or talks the edges of the cut stay together not split so that was good. It shouldn't take too long to heal. It should take about a week for the glue to wear off and until then he can't really get it wet. So if you see us and notice a stinky smell it isn't me. It is my stinky Bode. Bode did really good. We think he liked all the attention. He laid really still when they were working on him and was really happy to get a Popsicle when it was all done. So now for Bode's birthday instead of new summer clothes, he got a $100 dollar ER visit for some fancy glue. I guess new summer clothes will have to wait for now. We are hoping it doesn't scar too bad, if it does then he can just tell everyone his Superman story.
We went home and he was back to his normal rambunciouse self. I had to remind him to not play to rough or it would hurt. I don't think he believes me. I am so grateful that we had insurance!! I don't know what we would have done if we had to pay out of pocket for something like this. I am also very thankful for a great husband who can remain calm in a situation like this. Three different people asked how I was doing. I will have to say that I did good. I didn't freak out. It is scary to see your little baby hurt. I am so relieved he is ok. We almost made it 3 years without an emergency like this. I guess he is a boy and I can expect to have more days like this in my future.

9 comments:

  1. Poor Bode and poor mommy. He sounds like a real trooper. Glad he is okay. The mom who was screaming...how rude! Could she not hold it together for the sake of Bode?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch! Kamden is standing here asking if he wants her to kiss it to make it better?! I'm glad he didn't have to have stitches

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scary! Good job for not freaking out like that lady next to him did. I think I would react more like her. I've always loved "battle scars" and I'm sure it will just add character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. bode,

    i love you, sorry about owchie. i hope you are still coming over tomorrow. i want to give you hugs,

    parker

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Bode! I'm sure you'll have more days like this...I wonder if I will with my girls. Probably. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sad! I would have flipped out for sure, or atleast cried. Thats good he did so well! When I was almost 3 I tripped and hit my head. My parents took me to the ER to get stitches and they had to restrain me in a straight jacket because I wouldn't stop touching it the cut and kept freaking out when they tried to put the stitches in. True story. Growing up my siblings teased me that I was crazy and had been in a straight jacket.

    Hope he is feeling alright now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Bode!! I'm sorry! Kernan and Maci love that park, they'll be sad it hurt you!! Hope you're feeling better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to ask why were the stairs metal? That just seems wrong. Emergency room visits are not fun. I have never even been for myself but we took Rhylan at 14 months (however it was not because of an accident) I am sure we will have some of those too with little boy coming up. lucky he didn't need stitches, I bet that would have been a little scary for him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my heavens that is a big gash. boys will be boys, huh?! I hope he is doing good.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails