Sunday, December 14, 2008

Christmas memories...

This is a good time to reflect on past holiday memories. I saw a person do this on her blog and thought it would be a good idea to write down a few Christmas memories.


We would get up so early. Like 3 in the morning. The anticipation of Christmas day was just to great to stay in bed. I do remember that every kid would get up early but as the years went by the older ones preferred to stay in bed, but Lee and I always got up together to take a peak at the presents. We did this probably until I left to college.
One year Jill really wanted a huge stuffed animal. I wanted to be just like her. So I asked for one too. I was super excited to see a huge stuffed Bear under the tree. I loved that bear and slept with him every night even though he took up the whole bed. I even would put something green on him for St. Patrick's so the other toy's wouldn't pinch him.
One year I got a Game-boy. I don't remember asking for it, but thought I was really cool to have one. On Christmas morning I didn't realize the Game-boy was mine. I think my mom had to point out it was mine. I thought Tim got 2 Game-boys for Christmas.
We always had a White Elephant party on Christmas Eve. We did this with the Wessle's and Hardy's. Later when the Hardy's moved the Holmes's took their spot. I loved this tradition. It was always full of fun and food. Certain things got passed from year to year; a fruit cake, and old rocket and there was always a puzzle from the Wessels. The puzzle was always strategically wrapped so you wouldn't know you got it.
I loved baby dolls! I got a Baby Alive and a Baby Shivers. But I always wanted the black babies, they looked more real.
One year coming home from the White Elephant party we were all in the suburban driving home. The version of Jingle Bells came on the radio, the one barked by dogs. And being the oh so musically talented family we are, wink wink, we all started to bark along with it. This continued until we got home and we were all doing it inside. When we got inside the 2 dogs we had barked along with us. We all laughed really hard.
This is not really my story, just a funny one that I wanted to write down. My little Lee was so innocent when she was little. And by little I mean 11 years old. She was a big believer in Santa Clause. I think my parents were worried that she was too old to believe. Right after Thanksgiving Lee was in the kitchen and my Dad was putting on his shoes getting ready for church. He turned to her and said " you know Santa's not real, right" she said "yea" and went on with her little life, or so we thought. The next year in the summer my mom was out by the woodpile and found this little note. "Dear Santa, My dad said you are not real, but I think you are. I hope you are. Love Lee" We think that this incident may have triggered some emotional trauma that she will carry her whole life. (he he)

Ok that is probably good enough for now, I may have more later.

2 comments:

  1. What a cute story about Lee! Haha. I love it. I am so torn about the whole Santa thing. I don't want my kids to take it hard when they find out. I guess we all survived it though, right? (Except for maybe Lee).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Heidi, I can custom make anything for you in any color or size! If you want to email me we can work something out, and of course I'd give you a good deal! If you don't want to deal with etsy, I can always invoice you directly through paypal and then send out your goodies. Here's my email:

    chicy-creations@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails