Monday, April 8, 2013

Growing up, teenage years...

*What activities did you participate in?  
In junior high I played softball, basketball, volleyball and ran track.
Softball-I played catcher, 1st base and occasionally pitched. Softball was never my favorite. It was just something to do. I was pretty good at it. I got MVP both years. It was the only sport I ever quit. Between my 8th and 9th grade year I played the usual summer softball, like I had since I was 5. That year they picked teams because it was a bit more like a club team. There were 2 teams. I got put the b team. The first day of practice I remember actually teaching girls how to throw a ball. While on the other field there were all the girls actually playing ball. The team I was on, well, sucked! They couldn't even hit the ball. I when to the car and told my dad. He told me I didn't have to play anymore. I was really glad her supported my decision to quit. It was unfair of the coaches to put me on the cruddy team when I had earned the right to play on the better team. I had already made up my mind that I would run track in high school. Softball and track were at the same time so I got shafted. I didn't pick up a ball until my senior year of high school when I went to prom with a baseball player. We had a home run derby on our day date. They were all going to show us up. All the girl took their turn at the plate then it was my turn. I hit my first ball over the fence lol The looks on everyone's faces was priceless. They didn't know I could do that, neither did I.

Basketball-
I played basketball in junior high as well. Our team was horrible. Pretty sure we didn't win one game. Our coaches tried but we just were plain horrible. I got MVP my 8th grade year. My older sister blew out her knee playing basketball. I think that turned me off to playing that sport. My parents didn't push basketball on Lee or me after Jill's knees. I did play in one summer tourney my junior year. I score a basket and ran up and down the court pretty fast. Other than that, basketball was not my sport.

Track an Field-
In 4th grade you could try out for the track team. I did and made the 400 meter race. I ran that race from 4th-6th grade. The elementary kids never got to try our for much other than the open races. In 7th grade I ran the 100 meter in PE. Mrs. Farar screamed and called Mr. Medlock (these where the 2 track coaches) I had ran a 13.8 in PE. So when track season came around that year I ran the 100, 200, 400 and 4x100. I would have to get out my ribbons but I did well in 7th and 8th grade. Placed in every race I ran.

In junor high I was running faster than the girls on the high school team. Once the season got going and I made friend with the older girls the told me they heard that I was talking crap about all the high school girls and that I would kick their butts in any race. They said that once they knew me then knew I probably never said any of it and it was true that I could beat them all even if I never said it.

I ran the 100, 200, 4x100, 4x400 and sometimes did the long jump. I ran and got MVP 9th, 10th and 11th grade. My senior year I didn't get to run track. I started but had dislocated my knee cap in volleyball and was in a lot of pain. I wish I had been able to run that year. I went to state every year and placed in my personal races. Again I could pull out my medals but that seems like to much work right now. I was good at track. I never really loved it. I have looked back and thought that if I would have just put some more effort into track I could have been so much better. 

Volleyball-
My absolute favorite! Softball, basketball and track came easy to me. Volleyball was a challenge. I wasn't very good on junior high but made the team both years. I made the freshman team in 9th grade and play JV a few games in the end of the season. 9th grade was fun. We had a great coach that taught the basics well and pushed us to try new things. We had a better record that year then the varsity team. I played club volleyball in the winter on the 16's team. The more I played the more I loved it.

I played varsity the next three years. 10th and 11th grade I played front row and very little back row. My senior year I was a captain and played all the way around. High school volleyball deserves its whole on blog. I loved it! I loved my teammates and my coach. We were a competitive team and my senior year we won the region. I was the 3A East player of the year my senior year.

*How did you learn how to drive?  What kind of car did you have?
My parents taught me to drive. Along with some help from my older brother and sister on occasion. It wasn't easy. I don't think I was a fast learner. Not the whole driving part but the learning to drive a manual car was the hard part. I drove a little white Toyota 4x4. It was my older sister and I loved it!

*Who were your friends?  
I never felt like I had one friend, just lots of groups of friends. I didn't quite fit in with any one group so I just bounced around. I didn't really go out too much. I was and am a homebody. Sports and school kept me busy.

*Did you have a girl/boy friend?  Talk about him/her (if your spouse is okay with it!).
I had a couple boyfriends and lots of crushes. Typical teenage stuff. I didn't date until I was 16.  I went to homecoming with Daniel Rawlings junior year and no one my senior year. Went with a group of friends. I when to 3 proms. Went with Nathan Sherwood, Kevin Huggins and Corey Jarman. I also when to the girl ask guy dances too. 

*What did you like/dislike about school?
I liked my team friendships. I liked my teachers. I disliked feeling like I didn't fit in anywhere. I disliked math and science. Those two subjects give me anxiety. 

*What was your first paid job? 
I always babysat kids, but my first real payroll job was working at Subway. I was the shift manager and had key to open the store. I then worked at like a maintenance worker at the Country Club Rec Center then I was a nanny for a family. 

*What were your chores at home?
By the time I was in high school it was just Lee and I at home. We did the chores our parents told us to do. I do remember that we had a night each week that we had to do the dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails