Sunday, June 19, 2011

I go in the potty...


When Jer and I were talking about potty training her we figured it would go one of two ways. A ton of kicking and screaming, forcing her to do it ending in a lot of frustration and a long, long time to get it done because she is so very stubborn. Or SHE would decide that going pee pee on the potty was her idea and just do it with very little help from anyone.

I had set the goal to start potty training Laine on June 1st. We happened to be up at my parents house that week and I thought I would give it a go anyway. We bought underwear and I set the clock to take her every 15 minutes. Well that did not last long. She managed to pee and poo in her underwear within the first 10 minutes of wearing them. I half hearted-ly tired for the morning and decided that is was much better to tackle the potty at home and not at my moms. For one I didn't want to leave my mom and dad's house all "marked" by Laine, and I figured she wouldn't be so distracted at home. 

So when we got home a few days later we started again. Jeremiah suggested just filling her up with as much juice, milk and water that she wanted so that she was needing to go all the time. Well she would wear underwear all morning with no accidents and just wait until nap time, when I put a diaper on her, and fill that diaper to the max. Then underwear all afternoon and the same thing, wait until night and fill that diaper all the way up. 

Then she decided that she didn't need to wait for the diaper to go. That is when I borrowed the steam cleaner.... When Bode was potty training we did it in a house that was all tile. So when there was an accident we could just wipe it up, sanitize and go. Not the case with a carpeted house. After a few rough days of my forcing Laine to just sit on the potty I was frustrated and she was mad at me for making her do something she didn't want to do. I knew that if she just went once then she would just get it. So on the 9th of June I was just sitting on the computer and Laine runs right past me to the bathroom, sits on the potty, pees, wipes, flushes, pulls up those cute Tinkerbell undies, washes her hands, runs out and just keeps playing. Talk about a celebration on my part! Bode even got in on the act and joined in my praise for her. We called Jeremiah and she was so very proud to tell her daddy what she did. 

The next day she didn't want to me watch her go so she would close the door and I would have to wait on the other side of the door and listen. I guess she didn't care for all the fuss over her going on the potty. Since that day she has been almost exclusively going #1 on the potty. 

Now, number 2 is a different story. I remember it took Bode awhile to figure out how to go on the potty. She has gone on the potty once and again she did it all by herself. Good thing I was at least there to help with the wiping. She doesn't like wearing a diaper at all now. After nap one day she was just hollering at me to get her out. I opened the door and there she was, naked, diaper on the floor and she we say a little present for me sitting in her crib. That night called her Grandpa Alex and told him, "I pee on the potty!!! I poop in my crib." 

Friday we went shopping for 2 hours with no accidents. Yesterday she went in the morning with Jeremiah to get a doughnut without a diaper, then she went to Lee's all afternoon with no diaper and last we went to Safeway in the evening with no diaper. I am very proud of this little girl who all on her own decieded to potty train herself. Although I don't pretend for a second to think she is potty trained, but it has been a good week and I hope to continue on this path.

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails