Friday, December 17, 2010

Homemaker...



Wall Street Journal, titled 
“The Most Creative Job in the World”:
“It involves taste, fashion, decorating, recreation, education, transportation, psychology, romance, cuisine, designing, literature, medicine, handicraft, art, horticulture, economics, government, community relations, pediatrics, geriatrics, entertainment, maintenance, purchasing, direct mail, law, accounting, religion, energy and management. Anyone who can handle all those has to be somebody special. She is. She’s a homemaker.” (3 June 1983.)

I have been thinking a lot about my tittle these days. Homemaker. What is my job worth? I know that for me, it its a priceless job. I always knew growing up that I wanted to me a mother, wife and a homemaker. Growing up in a small town I think the position of a homemaker was valued. Most of my friends, LDS or not, had mothers in the home. I never considered doing anything else. Not because I am lazy or lack motivation to do other things, but because I have always valued the importance of a mother in the home. I knew that I wanted to marry someone who knew how important is is to have our children raised by us and not by relatives, daycare workers and school teachers. I am grateful that I found someone who works hard so that I can stay at home to raise and nurture our children. I also feel very fortunate to have grown up in a home with a stay at home mother. 
As I grew up and left the comfort of home I found out that the world does not value the job of a homemaker. One semester  in college I was taking an English class. At one point we were supposed to take one of the short stories or essays we had read in our text book and write a paper. I choose an essay about working women. I can't remember what was exactly in the essay I read or exactly what was in the paper I wrote, but it was me taking a stance against working women. I made it clear in my paper that I felt that women should stay at home and raise the children. My English teacher did not like it one bit. She wrote on my paper, "your opinion isn't valid". She was a very opinionated women with 2 young children. She worked while her husband stayed home with their kids while she could as she put it, "have a career and not be defined by the title of mom." 
Please don't misunderstand what I am trying to say here. I have no problem with a woman bettering herself with an education or having to work because of personal circumstances. What I am trying to get at is the value of a mother in the home. That the position of mom and homemaker is a valid "career" choice in a world that says it isn't. 


So that is what I am. A homemaker, a wife and a mother. It isn't a glamorous job. It is a selfless job. No matter what I want to do there are always 3 people who are a head of me. It is a 24/7 job. There are late nights and early mornings. Poopy diapers and never ending laundry. You clean a kitchen just to get it dirty for dinner. Bath time, jammies, brush teeth, read stories and off to bed. I wouldn't change my career choice for anything in the world. No doctorate, masters, big paycheck or promotion could be any better than me being at home with my children.




4 comments:

  1. Heidi- Being a stay at home mother myself, I get what you are saying. Selfless job is definitly true. We always put ourselves last, because it becomes our nature to take of those we love before ourselves. Sometimes it hard to accept that I won't always have time for just me, but with being a mom, it is part of what I have come accept. My children and family are my life, and being a stay at home mom is one of the best opportunities I could have. I am glad to hear you have a lot of the same feelings about this as I do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Married love teaches us about becoming more God like by asking us to do God like things for those to whom we have committed our lives. Marriage asks us to be Good Shepherds for the sheep of our home, not leaving them when wolves and tigers come. It asks us to share the afflictions of those we love msot dearly. When we respond to those invitations, we are doing something Christlike. And in that sense, our service to spouses and children teaches us by repetitive practice how to develop a more Christian-Godlike-character." Bruce C. Hafen,
    Covenant Hearts,2005. (Marriage and family are gifts to help us become Christlike, Heidi. What you learn as a mother you will never learn anywhere else. I am pleased with your mother's heart. So pleased.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. P. S. You never have to worry about looking back and wishing you had done it differently. You will know you were there offering a warm home and a focused heart.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails