Monday, May 24, 2010

What's in a name...

I was looking back at old posts and comments for a bit today. Someone asked me where we came up with the name Delaine. So her is goes... How the Joncas's got their names.

Jeremiah James

Jeremiah name is obviously a bible name. It was given to him by his birth mother along with a different middle and last name. The bad memory that I have I cannot remember what his middle name was and I can't spell the last name. But when he was adopted by the Joncas Family they asked him if her wanted to change his name. He thought it would be to have he initials JJJ.

Heidi Elyse

My dad used to joke that I was named after the newscasters on the news the day I was born. Heidi Foglesong and Elsye the weather girl. My mom said she always like the name Heidi. She grew up with a girl named Heidi Hughsow. According to my grandma Heidi Hughsow was not all there in the mind and she didn't want my mom to name me Heidi. Mom, did I get this story right?

Bode James

We for the longest time had picked out the name Zachary all picked out. I had even make a little name hanging thing to go over his crib and had birth announcements printed out. But a few weeks before my due date we were watching the winter Olympics and Bode Miller was a US skier. I knew when I heard the name Bode that was it. But I kept trying to tell myself that that was dumb and we had already printed the announcement. When he was born he was definitely not a Zack but most definitely a Bode. James is Jer's middle name we kept that one going.

Delaine Jo

Picking out Laine's name was hard! We looked for months. Through books, online, all over. One day close to my due date my sisters called me and told me we should name her Delaine. I liked it, but Jer said he hated it. If you ask Jer about this story he denies it ever happened. He had the great idea that we needed to look in family genealogy books for the name. We kept coming across Delaine. I guess it grew on him because obviously we decided to name our sweet girl Delaine Jo. Jo just because it is cute.

So there you go. Our names.

6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this post! I might borrow it for my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they are all great names! Wish you could send a couple cute boy names our way... why is it so hard to agree?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have cool names and great stories behind them. if my sickeningly accurate memory serves me right (really it does creep people out how much i can remember).. was it uriah?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Jeremiah Uriah Hersome or Argyle depending on what papers you are looking at.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know you named Laine after me... Ü (jessica jo) I totally agree on the Bode thing, Zach would just not fit him, he's a Bode for sure!! And I love your Dad's story behind your name!! The news casters! lol!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails