Thursday, May 21, 2009

My Dad...


I wasn't sure if I should post this or not. But I decided to anyway. I hope you don't mind Dad.

My Mom and Dad's ward got a new Bishop... it is my Dad. We were all home this last weekend for Lee and Aaron's wedding and were able to be there when everything took place. I grew up in that ward and was curious to see who the Bishop would be after Bishop Shumway was released to be the Stake President. President Shumway had been doing double duty for about a month before the new Bishop was called and I am sure there was a lot of speculation about who the new guy would be. President Shumway is a spiritual giant. I know that my Mom and I have joked in the past we feel sorry for the guy that has to fill his shoes when he leaves. My Dad will be able to fill those shoes.

The Sunday before Lee's wedding we were all making Oreo truffles in the kitchen (yummy). We were all covered in melted chocolate and my Dad came out and he said he felt like he should tell us something and we all should know that a new Bishop was called and it was him. Ok now my Dad is a bit of a joker. He can keep a straight face through anything, so naturally I thought he was joking. He assured us he wasn't.

It was such a wonderful week. Lee was sealed to her eternal companion. Someone that I know will take care of her. And all of my siblings where able to attend. I loved being able to sit in the sealing room and see all of my family there. It was such a nice feeling to know that my family is so supportive of each other. Then we were all able to be at church on Sunday for my Dad to be set apart. I don't think proud it the right word. But that is the only word I can think of right now. I think that you see your parents at just that; parents. They raise you, feed you cloth you and I don't think you get to see them for the person they really are until you are an adult. I love my Dad. He is a great person. I know that he will be blessed in this calling. I loved growing up a "Merrill".

8 comments:

  1. Oh Heidi, I loved this little post. You said it so well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the post too. I get to reap the rewards of having him as MY Bishop! I am so excited. He and your mom are GREAT. We love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom told me about this the other day! I still love that even though I moved from pinetop when I was a sophomore I still the get the news!! :) Your dad will be amazing!! I think it is really neat!! Say hi to your family!! Give Pinetop a hug for me next time you are there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're so excited that it's your dad. He will be an incredible bishop. Derek and I are trying to find a house in the ward so we'll be able to keep him as our bishop when the time comes to move!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are so glad that we were able to attend when he was called! I know he will be an awesome Bishop...just as he is an awesome Uncle!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Heidi, that is amazing! You're dad will be an awesome Bishop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok so, that link you sent me for the dress on etsy is ADORABLE! Lets get together and sew soon. Seriously, you name the time and I will be there. just a warning though, I am fairly new to the whole sewing thing. You might have to bear with me, but it would still be fun:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heidi, what a neat weekend for your family. I am thrilled that your dad is the Bishop. I always thought he would be a good one. I was honored to be a part of Lee's wedding and I agree with you that it is a blessing to have your whole family in the temple.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails