Thursday, March 29, 2012

Batter up...

We finally signed Bode up for t-ball. He was so excited! He loves going to practices and was a little nervous about playing in his game. It has been fun to watch the chaos. It has only been a few weeks but he has already improves. He is throwing the ball better and is working on catching it.  

He looks so grown up in his little uniform. To bad it is black! It is going to be so hot come the end of the season.




I put off signing him up for anything because I know once we start with the after school activities they won't stop. This quote by Julie Beck really sums up how I feel about my home and motherhood...


"Mothers who know do less. They permit less of what will not bear good fruit eternally. They allow less media in their homes, less distraction, less activity that draws their children away from their home. Mothers who know are willing to live on less and consume less of the world’s goods in order to spend more time with their children—more time eating together, more time working together, more time reading together, more time talking, laughing, singing, and exemplifying. These mothers choose carefully and do not try to choose it all. Their goal is to prepare a rising generation of children who will take the gospel of Jesus Christ into the entire world"

I know it is just t-ball but I can feel the pull of the world taking us out of our home. Just to clarify, I do want my kids to be involved in activities, to have friends and to fun things, I just want them to know that the most important thing is family. My kids are getting more friends, going to people's houses to play and getting invited to do more things. I just want to work hard to do less. I don't think kids need to be over scheduled. They need time to use their imaginations without structured activities. I don't want to fill up our days with play-dates, lunch-dates, trips to the zoo and other things. When days are filled up like that there becomes no time for one on one moments that are the most important. Some may think it is lazy of me to not take my kids to the children's museum or to the library every week. But we have fun at home. My kids dig in the dirt, jump on the trampoline and build forts. We spent time together and that is the best thing I can do for them. No amount of "things" can replace the time we have together. 


2 comments:

  1. I love your post Heidi. Family is always the most important over all the extras.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said. I am putting that quote up in my house somewhere in a cute creative way, thank you I needed that! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails