Sunday, September 27, 2009

Grandpa Brewer...

Is this not one of the neatest pictures ever. I love it. It is of my Grandpa Brewer. He was quite a character. You can't tell in this picture but he was missing a few fingers and an eye. He lost them when he was young holding some explosives that went off. He would always make up stories about how he lost them. Like "I didn't eat my veggies so they fell off" or " Ants ate them off in my sleep". (I am kinda freaked out by ants.) He was a very good hunter. All through his house were elk heads, fish, turkey and other animals he had shot. He would call me "boy" I am sure he called everyone this but he would say "get over here boy" and I would crawl up on his lap. Because of him I loved parched corn. Mmmm. It is yummy stuff. It is corn kernels dried on the husk in the sun. Then you cook them on the stove in butter until they pop. I haven't had any in years, but I can remember the taste and it reminds me of my Grandpa Brewer.


2 comments:

  1. Dad and I stopped by Dad and Beverly's house on Thursday and it is all empty and I stood inside by myself for a minute to remember them filling the space of that home and then as we drove to the valley and we drove by his family's homestead near Pinedale I imagined him all over those hills. I was just remembering....I am glad you were remembering, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this picture is amazing! He sounds like a great guy, I love the reasons he made up for losing his fingers. That's funny!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails